Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Thumbs and knives are not chums.

The last two days have been quite uneventfully filled with class and homework. Last night, Ben, Ryker, and I went to 'cook' for Alpha Course again, and Kelly joined us a bit later. The meal had already been prepared ahead of time and only needed to be popped in the oven, so the boys and I chopped and washed salad greens. I was having one of those clumsy days (actually, when am I NOT?) and chopped into my thumb instead of the cabbage sitting next to it. I'll spare you squeamish folk and just say that it wasn't pretty. Etienne got me a plaster (there is no such brand as 'Band-Aid') and I wore that, along with a glove, for the rest of my time spent in the kitchen. At one point, I was borderline on whether the incision needed stitches, but thankfully, it stopped bleeding. So here I sit, with an encumbrance of an awkwardly-placed plaster on my thumb. It's hilarious thinking about how I have coped without the use of my right thumb- putting on jeans, washing my hair. Since Humanities got out early today as a result of Jacque going to America (sad note), I will probably run to the chemist (pharmacist) to see what they think I should do. Apparently they're pretty knowledgeable, and can save you a trip to the doctor's office if your case isn't dire. Which, in fact, mine is not. For now, I'm just enjoying a hot cup of peppermint tea at my desk and toying with the idea of going out into the ever so consistent England drizzle. Oh- after I cut my thumb..blah blah blah, we went into the main church to help set up the tables. We were really impressed with how nice the Alpha Course dinner is, and slightly jealous of the food, to boot. But I had fun. It's been a nice opportunity to get to know wonderful British (and French!) people, as well as spending time with the people studying abroad with me.

Nothing big should be happening today. Last night, we didn't have hall dinner because of schedule conflicts, so Allison and Becca are taking care of lunch, and then Cailee and Kelly are preparing dinner. I'm being spoiled today :]

Probably going to work on upcoming papers and such (I have no life), since we leave for York and Whitby tomorrow morning (at seven. this may not be possible). It's supposed to be beautiful, one of the towns is seaside, and then we are watching a football match (not Premier League like Man U, but 'minor leagueish') on the way back home! Should be awesome.

à bientôt.

1 comment:

  1. You poor child.. I'm sorry you hurt your fingaaah.
    The other night at sing song practice we sang our whole show in a British accent.. haha I thought of yall.

    ReplyDelete