Friday, February 12, 2010

secret valentine

Kristi came up with this awesome idea- anyone in our study abroad group could elect to be a part of this 'secret valentine' exchange. We put our names in a hat, literally, and it was almost a 1:1 ratio (a couple of guys have two names). For Sunday night, we're getting little fun gifts for each other, and it's been really mysterious not knowing anything. A couple of people (like Cailee) that elected not to participate get all the insight into who has who.. and won't give any hints. Bum. I guess I'll hold out for the surprise. But that's just been a fun little change of pace here, the only problem is my lack of creativity for my valentine. I'll pull through, don't worry. Love to be crafty.

Literally EVERYONE slept in today. I actually woke up before Cailee and Kelly, who didn't even budge until 1! Never saw that coming. We kinda bummed around, Allison and I did Kenpo P90X, and after a desperately needed shower, I went into City Centre with Allison, Cailee, Jacob, Nicholas, and Wyatt. Got a few little errand-y things, and got ingredients for cookies at Sainsbury's. OH! And Sunday night, we're having dessert and movie night. So much fun. Anyway, shopping for chocolate chips was interesting. The UK just doesn't bake with choc chips as often as Americans do, I guess. I found little teeny tiny (redundant, yes, thank you) portioned bags of them.. but to get the amount I need for my recipe, I would've had to purchase close to 5 GBP worth (that's 8 dollars for you Yanks). No. So substitute time! I found the hugest Cadbury bar available (drool) and will be chopping it up for chocolate CHUNK cookies. Slight change, but I cannot wait to make these! This is my absolute favorite recipe because of the combination of chocolate and oatmeal, and is perfect for all you unfortunate raisin-haters. It will certainly be different. Cross your fingers that nothing tragic happens.

Cailee and I had a nice walk back home, and then Kelly brought guests up to our tiny third floor! Their names are Alice and Becky, and they attend Oxford Brookes Uni. They are such sweet girls, and they joined us for a pizza dinner with most of the SA crew in the Lytle's cozy basement apartment. It was really fun getting to chat with these girls, which we had met at the Woodstock Baptist Church. They're majoring in Nursing, which made me immediately think of all my nursing friends back home. Miss you. After dinner, we popped the Lindsay Lohan version of Parent Trap in the VHS player.. man, that brought me back to third grade. Classic. Then I attempted (keyword) to learn the domino game '42' with Ben, Ryker, and Wyatt. I think my brain exploded. My excuse is that I was feeling a little under the weather, but I just couldn't handle all the little details of the game! Not so brilliant of me. Poor guys had to deal with that.

I've been spending the night catching up on podcasts and such, in my very lonely room, as Katie left for London for the evening. It's weird having a room all to myself. I heard the opening ceremony for the Olympics was on, but let's be honest here- I legitimately doubt that anything could top Beijing. A least, for a long time. Once the actual events are on, though, I am SO there. Snowboarding? Check. Ice skating? Bobsledding? I could go on. I love the winter Olympics.

It would be really cool if I could manage to get to sleep at a decent time in the near future. That goes on the ridiculous to-do list in my planner. Bahaha.


From England, with love

No comments:

Post a Comment