Tuesday, February 9, 2010

a lesson in humility

I woke up late yesterday, took a run through the snow (ouchie), and then powerwalked to the Co-Op in Summertown with Katie. We made grilled beef Gyros with veggies and tzatziki (spelling?) yogurt sauce, with corn garnished with bell peppers. Needless to say, Greek food was a hit. Our special guest, Ben, had some awesome stories to share, so dinner was really fun!

Then it was down to business. I sat in my room for what seemed like forever, doing assignments for Bible and Humanities, with a Sing Song break in between. I was really productive, and am so pumped about our little production! I have the songs stuck in my head. :]

Woke up a litttttle earlier today and worked some on finding material for quotes in my Persuasion paper. It's wearing me down, man! After a little lunch and shower, it was off to Alpha Course prep with Ben and Ryker.

When I signed up to volunteer for meal prep, I envisioned flourishing chops and dramatic culinary feats.. not really. But I did see myself doing a lot more cooking. However, Jules is still in Sierra Lione, so the people handling his duties have been doing a considerably HUGE amount of advance prep for meals, just in case. I don't blame them, it's a lot of people to cook for. Consequently, our helping hands have been used more to the tune of table assembly and dishwashing. What really swept the rug out from beneath my feet was literal cleaning. Let me explain before you reach some wild assumption that I am a prima donna. Stop it. I just have this general aversion to housework (sucks for whoever I marry, you gotta help me out. please?) and really need to be in the right mood to tolerate it. For some reason, Etienne's thick French accent gave me trouble today, but I finally realized what he was saying- I had to clean the coffee/tea area by the upstairs offices, dust all the trim/baseboards, and Windex the windows (especially the ones on the doors).

Truly, this brought me down a couple of notches. People passing by on the stairs or in the halls would give me a couple confused glances (who is this girl? why is she lugging cleaning supplies?) and carry on. This kind of attention weirds me out, because no one really wants to distract you from your task at hand- but I hadn't said a word in an hour and a half. I just wanted someone to say hello! Cleaning is certainly not glamorous, and I know that in American society, we view it as a less prestigious occupation. The stigma in my mind associated with the janitorial duties just hit me.

I am a student, blessed to be living in an (expensive) foreign country.
I am no more important than a local student, a bus driver, a cleaning lady.
I am called to be a servant.
I am supposed to be living in the example of my Savior, who was God, and then washed the feet of his followers.
I am a mere vessel through which real work can be accomplished.

Which brings me to feel about 2 inches tall. I've got a lot to learn, and plenty more notches from which I need to be knocked down. I think that's what this semester is for. Knowledge as I continue to seek truth, challenge as I am separated from the people I hold closest to my heart, and growth as I (do my best to) rely on God to make it through. Coming back unchanged would be a failure on my part.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Love and miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment