Friday, January 15, 2010

I'm a popsicle

The rumors are true - this is the coldest winter in the UK in 30 years. The snow on the ground is beautiful, and the city has so much history. Our houses were built in the mid-18th century! Practically as old as Britain's separation from the United States. Crazy.

Our second day here was just lovely. Some of the girls on my floor woke up around 8 and we ate breakfast together- my first attempt at using a French press was successful! Yum. After a tight squeeze in the shower, a group of us took a walk to find the larger Sainsbury's grocery store. Cailee screamed at a fat chap of a pigeon (you should ask her about that) and before we knew it, it was time to get back to the house! Cailee, Kelly, and I stopped by On the Hoof for some sandwiches (chicken tikka with mango chutney for me) and powerwalked back to the house just in time to leave for our afternoon orientation at St. Andrew's Church. Once the business was over with, a few of us chilled in the kitchen on my floor. We decided to go to the Jericho area of Oxford for dinner, and after a little wandering, we found Pepper's Burgers. Delicious. If you ever go, only order the 'small' order of chips (french fries). It could feed an army. During our previous detour, we found a treat shop called D&G's, which was promptly visited after the burgers. The brownies looked delicious! Despite a few little issues crossing the street (ahem, girls.. haha) we made it back to the house in one piece to watch some TV. I guess we love American television, because all we've watched is 'Friends' and 'She's the Man'. Feels like home.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of the town.. yesterday I had no sense of direction. Now that I am having to look at my feet less (to avoid the slippery snow, which is now slush) there will be more opportunity to take pictures and explore the city! My sense of time has honestly disappeared- I was shocked today is Friday. Classes don't begin until Monday, and we don't even have class on Friday, with the exception of make-up class time. I can't wait until our Oxford Through The Ages course, which will include a lot of our tours through the city.

Sorry nothing super exciting has happened, but we're taking a trip to London next Friday, so I should have plenty to talk about after then for sure!
Cheers

1 comment:

  1. I love G&D's! Their brownie sundaes ARE delicious. Also, they have this really cool thing where they put ice cream in a mug of cappucino. It's different, but really good. They have really good breakfasts too.

    Clearly, I'm obsessed with your blog. Wish I was with you lovely girls!

    ReplyDelete