Saturday, March 6, 2010

An epic meal.

Malia's birthday was today! Her first restaurant choice was too busy, but we ended up at cozy, warmly-lit All Bar One. Oh.my.goodness. I had no idea what to expect, and it blew my socks off. Needless to say, today's post will be about what I ordered.

I felt a little adventurous but also wanted something healthy. I noticed a dish called 'halloumi with vegetables' under the Salads and Skewers section of the menu. It didn't say what exactly halloumi was, but I knew that veg skewers with roasted veggies on the side would at least be a good meal by themselves.

When the waitress brought my dish to our (tightly packed) table, my jaw dropped. It was colorful and beautiful! Two skewers with bell peppers, onions, and halloumi drizzled with a sweet and spicy glaze, accompanied by roasted bell peppers, onions, and zucchini on the side. Absolutely delicious. I thought the halloumi tasted and looked like a fish, a cross between cod and scallops. Just looked it up on Wikipedia- it's actually a Cypriot cheese with a high melting point, so it can be grilled. Whatever it was, I think I found a new favorite dish.

To top it all off, Natalie, Brittany, Cailee, Allison, Wyatt, Nicholas, and I went to G&D's afterwards for sweet treats. No sitting room, though, so I enjoyed my brownie at home with a little ice cream on top.

Whoever claimed that food in the UK was disgusting and bland was terribly wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment